Wednesday 29 September 2010

Mighty White

Tuesday - it's the new Thursday, apparently. Which used to be the new Monday, itself being a replacement for the old Friday. Sitcoms, they get about, don't they? Time was you could turn on the telly on a Friday night and there'd be something on to make you feel better about not having any friendss to go to the pub with, but nowadays they throw you a paltry documentary about Concorde and the implication that everyone else is out having fun without you instead.

But I digress. More than usual. My intention was just to point out that BBC Two are showing comedy on a Tuesday night nowadays. Alan "rumour has it he bit a tramp once" Davies gets a 9pm billing in Whites, where he's been asked to grow a Marco Pierre White beard just to rub it in a bit. I was prepared to diss it with vitriol and evil, but then Issy Suttie and Jen out of off'f The IT Crowd appeared within two minutes of each other and delivered cracking performances, so I thought I'd stick it out. Super Hans out of off'f Peep Show gets a look-in later on, too, but the problem with Super Hans out of off'f Peep Show is that no matter which role he's playing, you always hear Super Hans out of off'f Peep Show and assume that whenever he's out of shot he's probably smoking some bloody lovely crack. Which is a shame, because he's actually played all kinds of non-crack related roles, but you just can't see past the crack. It's a kind of mental typecasting; he could play Harold Wilson, and all you'd be thinking was "I bet that's not tobacco in that pipe".

Anyway, long story short, thanks to a particuarly excellent supporting cast I warmed to the whole thing by the end, despite a script which veered from so-so to actually-alright-really-I-suppose; despite Alan Davies, whom I can't generally tolerate for too long without wanting to pull off my ears; even despite the trailer for Jools Holland afterwards which made me want to pull off his ears (he's a horrible little suckup, isn't he?). Which came as a bit of a surprise, but I'll roll with it. At least it's not Harry and Paul, which was on afterwards and did nothing but make me long for the Fast Show. Which itself probably wasn't that great, actually, but at least I was young enough to not know better.

Tomorrow: I might just watch a documentary on BBC4 about paintings or Jesus or something, if you’re lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment